אפליקציית אייפון לפורום סקופים  |  אפליקציית אנדרואיד לפורום סקופים  |  אפליקציית WindowsPhone לפורום סקופים

גירסת הדפסה          
קבוצות דיון פוליטיקה ואקטואליה נושא #10102 מנהל    סגן המנהל    מפקח   עיתונאי מקוון    צל"ש  
אשכול מספר 10102   
Blue
גולש אורח
יום שבת ד' בסיון תשס''ח    16:41   07.06.08   
כרטיס אישי עבור לצ'אט  

40 שנה להתנקשות ברוברט קנדי: רשמי ביקורו בא''י 1948  

ערכתי לאחרונה בתאריך 07.06.08 בשעה 16:46 בברכה, Blue

לציון 40 שנה להתנקשות ברוברט קנדי: רשמי ביקורו בארץ ישראל ב- 48
לני בן דוד
05/06/2008 12:57:19

רוברט "בובי" קנדי, שנרצח מירי מתנקש לפני 40 שנה, היה תומך נלהב של ישראל. הדברים שכתב בעת ביקור בפלשתינה בשנת 1948 מעוררים עד היום השראה ועשויים לשמש מענה לטענות נגד ישראל.

למאמר המלא (באנגלית): לחצו כאן

רוברט "בובי" קנדי נורה למוות לפני 40 שנה, לאחר שיצא מחגיגת ניצחון פריימריס בקליפורניה. קנדי היה תומך נלהב של ישראל ותמיכתו הייתה כנה, עמוקה ולבבית. התמיכה הזו גם עלתה לו בחייו.

בתו הבכורה, קת'לין קנדי טאונסנד, אמרה ביום השנה ה- 30 למותו כי אביה "נרצח בידי טרוריסט ערבי בגלל תמיכתו בישראל". מניעיו של סירחאן - שתועדו ביומניו ובמשפטו - מקורם בזעם שחש לנוכח ניצחונה של ישראל שנה קודם לכן, במלחמת ששת הימים.

לפני 60 שנה, שבועות ספורים לאחר שישראל הכריזה על עצמאותה, פרסם העיתון "בוסטון גלוב" סדרת כתבות מאת קנדי, שהיה אז סטודנט צעיר וביקר בארץ ישראל בשלהי מרץ 1948. עד היום, דבריו של קנדי מעוררים השראה:

"היהודים בפלשתינה, שמאמינים ופועלים למען רעיון המדינה הלאומית, הפכו לעם גאה ונחוש. הם מהווים דוגמה מודרנית נפלאה להולדתה של אומה ולמרכיביה הראשוניים: כבוד והערכה עצמית. היהודים מציינים בגאווה שבין השנים 1944-1932, יותר מ- 500 אלף ערבים הגיעו לפלשתינה כדי להנות מתנאי חיים שלא קיימים באף מדינה ערבית אחרת".

דבריו של קנדי עשויים לשמש כמענה לטענות האנטי-ישראליות הנשמעות בימינו. יש הגורסים שיהודי היישוב עלו במספרם ובתחמושתם על הערבים בפלשתינה. עדותו של קנדי מוכיחה אחרת:

"ראיתי אלפי גדודים ערבים זרים בפלשתינה, ביניהם לגיונותיו של המלך עבדאללה, שאומנו וצוידו על ידי הבריטים. היו שם חיילים מסוריה, לבנון, עיראק ועבר-הירדן. כל ערבי ששוחחתי איתו ציין בפני את העובדה שאלפי חיילים נאספים במשולש שכם-טול כרם-ג'נין ומאות מצטרפים מדי יום.

חוסר יכולתה לבצע תמרונים צבאיים לטווח ארוך, בעקבות נוכחותם של הבריטים, היוותה מגבלה גדולה וכמעט הרסנית עבור היהודים... לו חיכתה ההגנה ל- 15 במאי ולנסיגת הכוחות הבריטיים, מעטים היו חיים היום בירושלים".

קירבתו של קנדי ליהודים בארה"ב והאמפתיה שחש כלפי היהודים בפלשתינה היו יוצאות דופן בהתחשב בסלידה שגילה כלפיהם אביו. הביוגרף ארתור שלזינגר גילה כי בקיץ 1942, התלונן קנדי האב באוזניי חבר על מורת הרוח שהוא חש למראה "מינויים של כל כך הרבה יהודים למשרות רמות בוושינגטון".

בובי קנדי היה כנראה אחד הפוליטיקאים האמריקאים הכי אופטימיים וישירי מחשבה מאז פרנקלין רוזוולט. גישתו באה לידי ביטוי בציטוט המפורסם שלו כי "יש כאלו המסתכלים על הדברים כפי שהם, אולם אני שואל מדוע. אני חולם על דברים שמעולם לא היו, ושואל: למה לא?".

אותה גישה הייתה ברורה כבר ב- 1948, כשקנדי כתב את הדברים הבאים:

"היהודים מאמינים שתוך מספר שנים, לו תוקם מדינה יהודית, היא תהיה הגורם המייצב היחיד במזרח התיכון. השנאה בין היהודים לערבים גוברת מיום ליום, אך במקרים רבים הם עובדים אלו לצד אלו בשדות ובמטעי התפוזים מחוץ לתל אביב. יתכן שהיהודים והערבים האלו תורמים תרומה גדולה יותר לשלום העתידי בפלשתינה מאשר אלו שנושאים על גבם רובים".

It’s the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy, and the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs has an extraordinary look at his 1948 Reports from Palestine.

On the 40th Anniversary of His Assassination:

Boston Post - June 3, 1948

British Hated by Both Sides
Robert Kennedy, Special Writer for Post, Struck by Antipathy Shown by ‘Arabs and Jews'

By Robert Kennedy

Certainly if Arthur Balfour, Britain's foreign minister during the first World War, had realized the conflicting interpretations which were to be placed on his famous "declaration" calling for a homeland for the Jews, he probably would have drawn it with its meaning clearer and saved the world the bloodshed that its double promises have caused. In his attempt to conciliate both Jews and Arabs in a time of distress for the British empire, he conciliated neither.

Another fact I became immediately aware of was a basic violent hatred of the British by both sides. I talked to a British army sergeant who had been in Palestine for two years, and he placed the blame with the Palestine Colonial Police. Later I found many to be in agreement. He called them the "underpaid, uneducated dregs of society." They were evidently the most corrupt group of police in the world, firstly because they were so underpaid and, secondly, because when colonial police were sent to their posts the worst of the lot were invariably sent to Palestine.

A Jewish girl in her teens was picked up by some members of the Haganah on the road from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem and, as she was injured, she was taken to the Hebrew Hospital in Jerusalem. They believed that she had somehow been separated from a Jewish convoy which had just gone through and which had had a scrap with the Arabs.

She was particularly noticed because of the strange people who were her visitors and by the fact that she insisted on being moved to the English hospital. Malca was sent to question her. She was turned away gruffly by the girl after the girl admitted that she had in reality been in a British tank with a boy friend and wanted nothing to do with the Jews.

The Jewish Agency offered to send the girl out on a farm in order to let her regain her health and give her a new start, but she just demanded her release which they were forced to give her. She continued consorting with the British police despite warnings from the Stern gang.

Brother Shoots Sister

One night the Stern gang followed the tactics of the underground forces in the last war. They shaved all the hair off the girl's head. Two days after Malca told me this story the sequel took place. The girl's brother returned for leave from duty with the Haganah up in Galilee and, finding her in such a state, shot her.

I talked to members of the underground organization Irgun. They were responsible for the King David Hotel disaster and told me proudly that they were responsible for blowing up the Cairo-Haifa train which had just taken place with the loss of 50 British soldiers.

Disillusioned

They believed the time had long since passed for the Jewish people to expect anything but treachery and broken promises from the outside world. If they wanted an independent state they would have to fight for it, and before they could even do that, they had to rid the country of foreign troops. They believe unquestionably that if it weren't for their so-called terrorist activities the British would have remained on in their country. Bevin's recent speeches in the House of Commons, they argue, have been ample proof of that. The question, though, in other Jews' minds is whether this compensated for what they have lost in good will by such tactics.

British Position Hit in Palestine
Kennedy Says They Seek to Crush Jewish Cause Because They Are Not in Accord with It

I was in Palestine over Easter week and even then people knew there was absolutely no chance to preserve peace. They just wanted the British out, so that a decision could be reached either way. An early departure of the British has been far more important strategically to the Jews than to the Arabs.

In addition to these handicaps that the Jews suffered through the presence of the British, there are many more far-reaching aspects of British administration which unfortunately concern or, rather, involve us in the United States.

Having been out of the United States for more than two months at this time of writing, I notice myself more and more conscious of the great heritage and birthright to which we as United States citizens are heirs and which we have the duty to preserve. A force motivating my writing this paper is that I believe we have failed in this duty or are in great jeopardy of doing so. The failure is due chiefly to our inability to get the true facts of the policy in which we are partners in Palestine.

The British government, in its attitude towards the Jewish population in Palestine, has given ample credence to the suspicion that they are firmly against the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine.

British Markings

Just before I arrived in Palestine there was the notorious story of the foundry outside of Tel Aviv. It was situated in a highly contested area and the British accused the Jews of using it as a sniper post for the Jaffa-Jerusalem road. One day the British moved in, stripping the Jews of all arms and ordered them to clear out within 10 minutes. The British had scarcely departed when a group of armed Arabs moved in, killing or wounding all the occupants. The British government was most abject in its apologies.

I came in contact personally, however, with evidence that demonstrated clearly the British bitterness toward the Jews. I have ridden in Jewish armored car convoys which the British have stopped to inspect for arms. As always, there were members of the Haganah aboard and they quickly broke down their small arms, passing the pieces among the occupants to conceal them so as to prevent confiscation. Satisfied that none existed, the convoy supposedly unarmed was allowed to pass into Arab territory. If the arms had been found and confiscated and the Arabs had attacked, there would have been but a remote chance of survival for any of the occupants. There have been many not as fortunate as we.

Our government first decided that justice was on the Jewish side in their desire for a homeland, and then it reversed its decision temporarily. Because of this action I believe we have burdened ourselves with a great responsibility in our own eyes and in the eyes of the world. We fail to live up to that responsibility if we knowingly support the British government who behind the skirts of their official position attempt to crush a cause with which they are not in accord. If the American people knew the true facts, I am certain a more honest and forthright policy would be substituted for the benefit of all.

The Jews are bitter in disappointment. As one Jew said, "Britain let us down for 25 years but you bettered them in a week." The feeling stops at disappointment and there is none of the hatred that exists for the British. They can understand us not wishing to send troops and so become entangled in a war that does not immediately concern us, but they plead only for the right to make this fight themselves. They want arms and frankly admit that if they cannot get them from us they will turn to the East. "What else can we do?" They are fighting for their very lives and must act accordingly.

Stabilizing Factor

The Jews on the other hand believe that in a few more years, if a Jewish state is formed, it will be the only stabilizing factor remaining in the Near and Middle East. The Arab world is made up of many disgruntled factions which would have been at each other's throats long ago if it had not been for the common war against Zionism. The United States and Great Britain before too long a time might well be looking to a Jewish state to preserve a toehold in that part of the world.

Both sides still hate the British far more deeply than they hate one another. There was a British high commissioner who when attending the opera used to have his car parked directly in front of the main door, a place usually reserved for discharging passengers. An even more unpopular practice was the regulation that at the end of the opera everyone had to remain in their seats until the British high commissioner was out of the opera house and in his car.

But the British have left - and now the issue is to be resolved in a bitter war between Jew and Arab. I do not think the freedom-loving nations of the world can stand by and see "the sweet water of the River Jordan stained red with the blood of Jews and Arabs." The United States through the United Nations must take the lead in bringing about peace in the Holy Land.

Photos of Robert F. Kennedy in Palestine in April 1948.

Photo 1. Kennedy outside of the King David Hotel striking a military pose.

Photo 2. Kennedy on King David Street in 1948. Behind him is a British military checkpoint at the intersection of what is today Agron Street.

תגובה עם ציטוט   | תגובה מהירה 
מכתב זה והנלווה אליו, על אחריות ועל דעת הכותב בלבד

האשכול     מחבר     תאריך כתיבה     מספר  
  תודה רבה, יתכן שיעניין אותך להציץ כאן: ilanka 07.06.08 17:21 1
  מעניין מאד ! הוא מצדיק את העובדות שהפלשתינצים פלשו לכאן אכפתי 07.06.08 18:47 2

ilanka
חבר מתאריך 25.4.02
78075 הודעות
יום שבת ד' בסיון תשס''ח    17:21   07.06.08   
כרטיס אישי עבור לצ'אט  
  1. תודה רבה, יתכן שיעניין אותך להציץ כאן:  
בתגובה להודעה מספר 0

http://rotter.net/forum/scoops1/18922.shtml

תגובה עם ציטוט   | תגובה מהירה                                     (ניהול: מחק תגובה)
אכפתי
גולש אורח
יום שבת ד' בסיון תשס''ח    18:47   07.06.08   
כרטיס אישי עבור לצ'אט  
  2. מעניין מאד ! הוא מצדיק את העובדות שהפלשתינצים פלשו לכאן  
בתגובה להודעה מספר 0

תגובה עם ציטוט   | תגובה מהירה                                     (ניהול: מחק תגובה)

תגובה מהירה  למכתב מספר: 

© כל הזכויות שמורות ל-רוטר.נט בע"מ rotter.net
חדשות